The mission of the Society for American Archaeology is to expand
understanding and appreciation of humanity's past as achieved through
systematic investigation of the archaeological record. The society
leads the archaeological community by promoting research, stewardship
of archaeological resources, public and professional education,
and the dissemination of knowledge. To serve the public interest,
SAA seeks the widest possible engagement with all segments of society,
including governments, educators, and indigenous peoples, in advancing
knowledge and enhancing awareness of the past.
- SAA advances archaeological research and disseminates archaeological
knowledge to the professional community and to the public at large.
- SAA improves the practice of archaeology and promotes archaeological
- SAA is dedicated to the conservation of the archaeological record.
- SAA serves as a bond among archaeologists worldwide in all segments
of the archaeological community.
- SAA effectively serves the needs of the diverse constituencies
that comprise its membership.
- SAA is an effective advocate for archaeology in the legislative
and public policy arenas.
- SAA provides an effective and flexible structure for the Society's
operations and initiatives